[Coco] IDE internal 100mb ZIP drives

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 24 19:48:59 EST 2005

  Mike,

I think you meant to address the question to maltedmedia, but it came
directly to me.  I'll give you a little background that may answer most
of your question(s).

I've been using 100mb SCSI ZIP drives, both internal and external, with
my several CoCo systems ever since Mark came out with his SCSI drivers
about  six years ago.  Not only do they make excellent HD backups, but
they are also good for bulk storage of all your archives and
distribution disks.  I have one cartridge I call "Warehouse" that is
strictly archival and contains approx. 60mb.  All the .dsk images I
download are also being stored in there.  My current plans are to
implement them into HDB DOS operations also by partitioning my HD and
several cartridges into the same size segments.

About a year ago, I purchased a USB 100mb ZIP drive from Doug Watts for
$25.99.  Now I can transfer files from my Mac to my CoCo's directly
without messing with all the floppy formatting problems we have been
seeing here.  BTW - I format them on the Mac as PC disks before I
transfer CoCo files and read them with the PCDOS utility.  An added
benefit is that I can make immediate backups of new Mac apps and files.
 That operation cuts down my system backups to every several months
without the fear of losing anything.  So a ZIP drive can still be useful
without having apply them to a full system backup.

I assume the reason the drives and cartridges are so cheap is that
everyone is cleaning out inventory.  If you are interested, I would
recommend buying now along with a liberal supply of disks.

Cheers,  Griz