[Coco] Re: Path command wasRe: OS-9 LVL II

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Feb 20 04:53:28 EST 2005

>From: KnudsenMJ at aol.com
>Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:15:27 EST

>In a message dated 2/19/05 12:15:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>chazbeenhad at hotmail.com writes:
>
>>Bob,  If you put the PATH command in startup, won't it only set path for the
>
>>TERM window?

Only for the life of the shell running Startup.

>>Is there a way to set path for all open shell  windows without having to go
>>to each screen and
>>using a script  or typing path=whatever ?

Use a s.t.a.r.t.u.p script.

>Not sure about OS9 6809 or ShellPlus, but in 68K if you execute the
>PATH command (or any other environment settings) in Startup, and then
>spin off shells and windows in Startup, those settings will apply by
>inheritance to all those shells, even after the temporary shell that
>ran the Startup file goes away.

No such luck under OS9/6x09.  It doesn't provide environment
variables.  The closest are shell+'s internal variables (which aren't
passed on to child processes) and the /dd/sys/env.file Multivue stuff
uses.

I suppose the proper thing to do would be to add a PATH to env.file
and patch shell+ and gshell to look for it there.

So how does OSK handle this mess?  Proper (UN*X style) path and
environment, or something odd?

>At least I think that's how it's supposed to work, at least in UNIX
>or Linux.

Under UN*X, some sort of loader loads the kernel and jumps to it.  The
kernel sets itself up and eventually calls init.  Init forks off
various shells to process rc files, then hangs around and runs logins
on whatever devices.  Off the top of my head, I can't tell you where
the default environment variables are loaded.  Either in one of the RC
files or /etc/profile.

Under OS9/6x09, the kernel loads, then runs sysgo or cc3go.  Sysgo
forks a shell to run STARTUP, waits for that to finish, runs autoexec
(if it exists), then runs a shell on /term and goes away.

>--Mike K.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA