[Coco] special ramdisk needed...

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Feb 13 13:27:56 EST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Software can be written hard coded for I/O or soft coded. In OS-9,
> hard coding would be making the program always look for ex. /D0.
> Slightly more towards the soft coded side would be making the program
> use /DD. Then your selection of /DD could be any drive, floppy, hard,
> or ram. Complete soft coding would have the program ask the user for
> the source or just use the standard input path. If the program uses
> the standard input path, it can be Piped in from anything.

On my OS-9 system with a hard disk, H0, D0, and DD were all the hard
drive.  My floppies were  F0, F1, and F2.  This eliminated the need to
patch software to make it work with my hard drive.

I think he was talking about doing this under RS-DOS.  Under RS-DOS,
too many programs use their own means of doing disk I/O and without
patching the program there isn't really a good solution.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?