[Coco] C versus Pascal, etc.

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 16:14:38 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/05 4:08:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
KnudsenMJ at aol.com writes:

I didn't  change them, but I made the mistake of upgrading to AOL 9.0 (which

actually has some major improvements over 4.0 or even 7.0), but it does  not
have  the ability to do true Internet style quotes (with the  right angle
brackets).

I have a choice of either indenting the  quoted material (and it seems the
indenting gets lost, even on the  copy that comes back to me!), or putting
the
blue line down the left  margin of the quoted text, which probably doesn't
show
on any email  readers that aren't expecting the HTML or whatever commands to
draw   the blue line.

I suspect that MaltedMedia is stripping out both the blue-line code, and is
probably also digesting the special markers that do the indenting.

Indenting is not done by prefixing spaces or Tabs to each line, as a
sensible human or UNIX program would, but rather with invisible "add  indentation"
and "subtract indentation" control characters (similar to those  used in MS Word
abortions), which don't make it thru a lot of sites and mailers  either.

AOL thinks they can dictate standards, just like MS.  Rots of  ruck.  --Mike
K./