[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Mon Feb 7 06:17:46 EST 2005

On 7-Feb-05, at 2:44 AM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> The only other one is sdcc and I don't think there's a 6809ish back end
> yet. But this compiler is open source and built for the express purpose
> of targeting 8-bit micros. So that's why I think it is the best bet at
> present.

Writing an sdcc backend seems to be really, really easy. When compared
to a gcc backend, that is. But it requires a good knowledge of 6809
assembly that I don't have. Whoever does it wouldn't need a very deep
understanding of C, though, because you essentially just write C
functions that write out the assembly. I may be wrong on that though,
it's been a while since I took a good look at the 6808 generator.

There's a version of small-c that has a 6809 target, but I'm under the
impression that it's old and crusty, and maybe not very good.

Mark said:
> As much as this has been talked about...If all of the thread
> contributors would have pitched in, you might have already had a good
> jump on it.....

Hehe... good point. I hope someone gets motivated to pick up sdcc and
see what it takes to write that backend.

James