[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Mon Feb 7 03:35:41 EST 2005

Neil Morrison wrote:

> Nope, not for a compiler, for most anything. I used to get guys who'd ask me
> to write a horse handicapping program or something of the sort - often for a
> whole $100. $50 K used to give them a wakeup. But that's only $50 per hour
> for 1,000 hours - 6 months, and $50 billing per hour means $16 per hour to
> the programmer. That's really cheap. REALLY cheap.

Heh, only today we had a 'potential customer' who was aghast to learn that
it would take more than 4 weeks to spec, design, produce, assemble and debug
a custom PCB *and* associated software with power supply, an ARM processor,
some flash and ram running uCLinux and serving web pages for a custom
application talking a proprietory protocol out a bunch of 232/485 ports...

That's at *least* 5 weeks work... ;)