[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Feb 7 02:31:01 EST 2005

At 12:30 AM 2/7/2005, you wrote:

> [...]

I've had to explain lots of programming/design bills.  In your example,
with "1,000" hours of work comes the explanation for why it should take, or
took, 1,000 hours.  That figure is just as important as the hourly wage
which might be rounded off to $50/hour for no real reason other than it
sounds good and looks good on paper.  1,000 hours x $50/hour for (insert
job here) sounds like an unresearched figure.  I always like the retainer
idea and installment payments, but even then there has to be a cut-off
limit or a way to say, "your work stinks, it's taking way too long, and
you're fired".  I would never hand over $50,000 to an independant
programmer unless I've seen tons of his work and I have no doubt in my mind
that he can and will produce the product.

Anyway, enough of that.  Here's some facts that we should all know by now:

Those who overcharge will only be paid by dummies.

The smallest bid usually wins.

There are other people who can do your work (and better?).

--
Roger Taylor