[Coco] UltiMusE SOURCE CODE to be released

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 22:49:15 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/2/05 12:07:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rtaylor at bayou.com writes:

I won't  be much help with the C conversions.  I think if UME could be
broken  down into assembly files and made into a Portal-9 project, that the
OS-9  calls could be recreated/duped/simulated enough to make the system
work  under Disk BASIC.  My guess is that the memory management would be the
main challenge, especially for somebody not tuned into the  concept.

A way to start would be to C-compile each file as far as, but not  including,
the optimizer (or at least not the assembler!), and then manually  clean up
the code as needed, fixing the OS9 calls (SWIs) to whatever the RSDOS  routines
would be.

Later the ethnic light-bulb-changer register reloads and SEXes could be
edited out (or maybe a really good C.op2 script would fix a lot of these).

Roger, you understand the memory management tricks (a la Projector) about  as
well as I do.  But I'd be glad to explain them to anyone seriously  working
on them.  Just converting the C code to assembler, as described  above, would
preserve the existing "soowie"* technology, by whihc one subroutine  module can
call another such module via the "mother ship".

*So called because it calls the hogs (space hogging routines).  Yep,  that's
what the routing function is called, and the .h file that supports  it.  You
reading this, Boisey?
--Mike K.