[Coco] UltiMusE SOURCE CODE to be released

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 23:31:30 EST 2005

rtaylor at bayou.com writes:

How  dependent is UltiMusE on OS-9 calls?  Perhaps somebody can convert it
to a Portal-9 project and port it to Disk  BASIC.

Well Roger, ISTR thinking a long time ago that it would be a LOT of work to
convert it to RSDOS, and not just the fact that you'd be working in assembler
(starting from the output of the C compiler on an OS9 box).

But it doesn't rely on multitasking (just that pipeline), and if you wrote
(and probably already have a library of) file opening and other basic routines,
 it might not be so hard.  The graphics and menus are all done "by hand" so
it would be a straight port.

Roger, you understand the virtual memory stuff, as used in Projector,  better
than anyone else.  You could probably coach someone thru converting  my C
code to assembler in that regard, with direct zaps to the DAT  registers.

You (or whoever) would have to either figure a way to emulate the  pipelining
of Umuse into Fran, including switching between the two programs in  DAT
blocks, or putting them both in one 64K space, by "fragging out" a lot more  8K
modules.  I actually had plans for doing that, to eliminate the pipeline  in OS9
and make the screen redraws faster.  There was no guarantee that it  would
work before I started, and by then the demand for UME had died down to a  couple
of MM/1 users (where we romp thru Elysians fields of 2 MEGs of RAM, no
stinkin' pipelines).

Anyway, it would be smaller and faster in assembler -- though  speed-critical
routines already are.  --Mike K.