[Coco] Was unix, now SSC Tracker (MiniHog)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 16:35:16 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/1/05 2:01:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,  jhoger at pobox.com
writes:

>  I am writing this program to create music easily with the  SSC
> AND to write the music for MiniHog as well.  It's about time  somebody
wrote
> a program for the SSC to make music easily with  it.  Unless there is
> something else out there for it that I  don't know about in some Rainbow
> magazine, I wonder why it hadn't  been done before.

I remember I bought an SSC from Radio Shack because I  wanted in on the
whole Speech Synthesis hype (who didn't)... plugged it in,  fed a few
sentences to it through BASIC, and it worked. And now  what?

Back in the box it went.

I didn't even realize it had any  other purpose beyond music.

I know Radio Shack sold something called  Pan that allowed you to play
music through the SSC, but I'd already taken  my cart back so I never got
to try it.

That cart (I had one too, and probably sold it a couple years ago) has a
single stock AY-13xx music chip.  It can play three musical notes at once
(square waves, with some attack-decay), plus some percussion effects made with
filtered white noise.

If you accept the three-voice limitation, then you can have some fun with  it.
But I never considered it worth supporting from UltiMusE.  Now that  Boisy
and others have the UME sources, gang up on them if you want it :-)   Somewhere
I have the docs for that chip, but it was thoroughly discussed at some  length
right here a couple years ago (Torsten in Germany was heavily into  it).

I sold someone recently (again, from this List) my Symphony-12 Pak that had
FOUR of those chips, for 12 voices.  Now that was a real instrument.

"Pan" was a simple little program, actually the first OS-9 music composer's
program to support real musical notation.  Just barely.  --Mike  K.