[Coco] Bad news, good news...

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Dec 13 12:04:59 EST 2005

Rumor has it that Boisy G. Pitre may have mentioned these words:

>On Dec 12, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>>
>>The number of people wanting to use a NTSC S-Video TV to display
>>the output
>>of a CoCo 3 is zero

The two worst assumptions are "never" and "forever." ;-)

>>  even though the display is really great. My interest in
>>getting a 725 is for non-CoCo 3 use.

Right, but who knew that Velcro could revolutionize the clothing industry
or cheap hard drives could spawn an IDE adapter for the CoCo.

Just because you might not be thinking of a CoCo3 project, doesn't mean
that there's no call for such... Just look at ReMem:

http://bitchin100.com/remem_project.htm

This is something that might be easily converted to bring "mega-memory" to
the CoCo or any other 8-bitter.[1]

>I wouldn't say "zero."  I am very interested in seeing how well the
>CoCo 3 projects video to an S-Video supplied television.  You claim
>it is comparable to an RGB monitor.  If that's the case, an RGB->S- Video
>convertor would be just as desirable as an RGB->VGA convertor.

I agree; if the quality was good enough for WIDTH80, it'd be good enough
for me; and an S-Video converter could possibly bring a higher number of
quality "monitors" (like my 27" Sony Wega) to the table than a VGA upconverter.

27" worth of Rogue... Mmmmm... "What To-Do list, honey? I've not seen
one... Honest!!!" ;^>

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] I'm not smart enough to figure out the logistics of hooking this
critter to a machine expecting dynamic memory like the CoCo compared to a
static RAM based box like the Model 100/102/200; but the guy who built it
prolly is. ;-)

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!