[Coco] Bad news, good news...

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Mon Dec 12 19:35:58 EST 2005

Hi,
Electronic experimentation I use to do a lot. Just like many others I
switched to computers and that's why the electronic magazines disappeared
and Radio Shack stopped selling parts. Here in Silicon Valley the surplus
stores have disappeared and the ones that remain no longer stock chips with
legs. Reason: Everything is surface mount and made in China now. It is hard
if not impossible to find most of the things I would need, edge connectors,
switches, caps, pots and resistors to name a few. The best source I have is
Jameco but with everyone going there for parts their supply will dry up
someday. The surplus stores all have web pages now so the benefits of living
here are getting smaller and their stock disappearing. They only buy what
companies bought too much of so there has been a complete change away from
PC boards with holes here.

100 is a big number. I have had that problem for as long as I have lived in
Silicon Valley. I never found a solution. I am glad that someone said
Digi-Key has them. If the exact web page is posted I may place an order with
them as I also need a very special Optical Sensor so I can slow the fan
speed down in my HTPC. (Frequency Doubler)

The 725 is a surface mount device and there is a single sided PC board on
the web that with a few changes would work just fine. I still have the light
that will kill your eyes and some FeCl but my light sensitive chemicals are
all 20 years old and no good. Now I wonder if FeCl and the other chemicals
can even be kept in the home?

So I do not have anything against experimentation, my confusion maybe with
other postings that seem to address different problems just as mine may
have.

As to Firefox, I remember the book(s) and the Clint Eastwood Movie.

The number of people wanting to use a NTSC S-Video TV to display the output
of a CoCo 3 is zero even though the display is really great. My interest in
getting a 725 is for non-CoCo 3 use.

The project could be done by any construction method I suspect for ~ $12
depending on how well stocked your part's supply is. The high end would be
the pre built boards for over $100. With the interest being zero and my own
disappearing when I get a huge and expensive HDTV, I do not see any board or
kit or whatever being done.

Stephen H. Fischer