[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Dec 8 00:46:15 EST 2005

James:

You make some good points about pensions and health care
regarding older workers.  I am guessing you have had some
bad experiences in that field.  I have too.  In a previous
job, I was actually told my overtime was being cut since I
was a diabetic and the company didn't want me to get sick.
 Yes it was illegal, but it was a one on one conversation
and that made it hard to prove.

I guess when you hit a certain age, you need to start
looking at other options to keep a roof over your head.
 Besides diabetes, I have several sleep disorders and
while my current employer is willing to make
accomidations, I also wonder if I am at the top of the
next lay-off list.

With outsoursing going on, I am wondering what options lie
ahead for me.  I'd like to find work working on scientific
instruments for meteorology or oceanography, but I think
my testing experience is holding me back.  Another option
is to see if I can find an engineering tech job restoring
old computers, but I think a lot of people on this list
would be in front of me in the line up for the job (though
there is the MS Computer Museum down the road :)

I am beginning to agree that I should pursue programming
more for the hobby aspect than to improve my employement
hopes, thought doing the former may improve chances for
the latter.

-Jim