[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Dec 8 00:33:02 EST 2005

Hi Richard:

Yep, you have the right person.  I have thought about the
possibility of teaching, but I am not sure if that is the
right path for me.  I like helping people, and actually I
am pretty good at tutoring people who are not technically
knowledgable, but that is one on one, and not in a class
room.  I like helping people, and it provides a positive
feedback unlike what I am getting now.

Right now, my biggest problem is career burnout.  I've
been a test technician for most of my 23 years in tech (I
did a brief stint in tech support, but moved on for better
pay)  I want to find something more rewarding and
enjoyable.  I want to move into an engineering tech job.

I am starting to agree with James that pursuing a degree
just in hopes of a better job, might not be the right
choice.  I thought of getting a degree in some sort of
sciences (meteorology or oceanography) in hopes of finding
a job as a tech in those fields, but I think I could
pursue that course much cheaper via self study and build
on my tech experience.

In an effort to prevent burnout, I need to have a life of
some sorts.  If I had some hobbies in the fields I am
intersted in and worked on personal projects, I think that
would increase my skill set and help me move into the
fields I am interested in.

It's funny you wrote today, since I took my final in
Introductory C Programming.  I choked on two questions -
didn't even work on them, and spent way too much time on a
third.  Even though it was open book, it was a struggle
for me.  It been over 23 years since I took a final and I
have some added preasure from work, since there are some
expectations (they want me to be come a test automation
engineer and there is a lot of pressure.)  It's hard to
explain to someone who's almost 15 years younger than you
and has a four year degree, that school isn't that easy,
especially when you don't write code in your current
position and only at home.

I need to work on a strategy to prevent burnout and
improve my skill set.  Well, there is the CoCo :)  Cheers!

-Jim