[Coco] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB.

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Tue Aug 30 02:49:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have been thinking about this a little more.

The first Target:

A new rom that is installed into a "normal CoCo 3" in place of the original.

Plug the CoCo into the Wall and connect a monitor.

Turning power on the exact same messages are displayed and it is not
possible to determine that anything has changed, but OS-9 is running.

Plug in a game and it runs just as before. Remember, the rom is available
and will get control after the 3 wise men are displayed so control can be
given to a game completely.

No learning of OS-9 is necessary.

Now this is a goal that may not be reached, but it is the starting target.

I have not played with RGBdos and I do not know if it can be turned into a
OS-9 Shell.

Can someone knowledgeable tell me more and think about what is needed in
OS-9 to run on a diskless system. I consider 2 Meg Memory as a requirement
so a ram disk can be used.

Stephen H. Fischer