[Coco] Coco3 CMP color swatches

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 29 16:09:26 EDT 2005

There are two issues here, 1) what are the color names and 2) what are
the equivalent 24 bit value. There is no need to measure anything to get
24 bit values. Just assume the Coco DAC is full on at 3 and full off at
0. Scale that proportionally over the 24 bit values of 0-255. The
problem is that all monitors have slightly different color tuning even
with the best intentions that will make all Coco images look slightly
different. It is possible that the Coco DAC is of low tolerance and that
will cause even larger differences in color. Even the amount and type of
room lighting will have an effect on perceived color. Tandy did not fill
in the table of color names for a reason. Tandy could have printed
un-named color swatches, but the expense of doing that in a useful
fashion would have been too high.

Names are another matter entirely and I don't believe there is any
suitable method of getting these short of using standardized color
charts and their technical rather than descriptive names. Any method of
printing the color swatches will not result in permanent color so naming
the swatches would be an exercise in futility. Most people will barely
be able to distinguish nearest neighbors in the 64 palette color
selection unless they are side by side and certainly can't when the
level of color is increased.

My suggestion is that the best names for the Coco colors are their RGB
values, ex. 2R3G1B and let it go at that.