OS-9 as Replacement for DECB. Was: [Coco] Portal-9 IDE

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun Aug 28 23:17:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

I started thinking about what I would like in a new Disk Basic and another
idea popped up.

On a CoCo 3 2-Meg system, can we strip down OS-9 and put it into rom (Just
load a disk file initially) and build a system that will be acceptable to
the DECB users. Keeping OS-9 hidden for the most part but having the power
there for those whom can use it. The look and feel of DECB to be kept as
much as possible.

Trying very hard to not require knowledge of OS-9.

Perhaps a shell written that responds like DECB in a even more friendly way

OS-9 was designed to be embedded, Bosie has already done it.

Think about having all the needed parts and utilities in the rom initially
to provide the same power on capabilities as DECB when it starts, but OS-9
is running.

Then think about a GUI shell and the add ons which now will be so much
easier to do.

If we work on a Updated basic, will not most of the work be involved in
duplicating what OS-9 does already?

Stephen H. Fischer