[Coco] partial OS9 boot from hard drive (back on topic)

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Sun Aug 28 22:15:55 EDT 2005

OS9 is synonimous with pulling hair, running down the street screaming and
going postal.

The biggest nightmare with stock OS9 L2 is the bootlist order bug(blob).
I think this might have something to do with your problem. If I understand
it correctly, it has to do with modules going beyond the 8k block and being
split up. A fractured module won't work.
Also, I don't see the need in patching anything except a copy of h0.dd,
making it the /dd.
Modify and use the copy. Your hard drive interface card should have come
with the device descriptor on the disk it came with.

Read on...

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Vern Burke" <vburke at skow.net>

  > Ok, I think this has gotten complicated enough to confuse what I've
  > tried, here's a synopsis of what has worked, what hasn't, and what I've
  > done:
  >
  > Initial configuration that works:
  >
  > /dd is the floppy descriptor, /h0 is the hard drive descriptor. Init and
  > cc3go are patched to change references to /d0 to /dd. Cc3go is in the
  > floppy root, shell and grfdrv are in the floppy cmds. This boot works
  > and finishes up with working directory set to /dd and execution set to
  > /dd/cmds.
  >
  > What doesn't work:
  >
  > Start with above configuration. Edit with ezgen, rename /dd descriptor
  > (floppy) to /fd. Rename /h0 descriptor to /dd. End result is that /dd is
  > now the hard drive.

Now you don't have a /h0 DD in your boot.

  > Copy cc3go from the floppy root to the hard drive

I have cc3go in my boot file as the last entry. It isn't in the cmds
directory. I don't know if this is necessary or not. I do know it's only
used once in the boot up.

  > root, copy shell and grfdrv from floppy cmds to hard drive cmds.

Shell is loaded from the default directory/cmds.

grfdrv is loaded from the boot disk/cmds (with unpatched modules)

  >When  this configuration is booted, it gets to OS9 BOOT, accesses the
hard
  > drive, then crashes the machine with garbled display.
  >
  > The os9boot ident I gave you is the config that DOESN'T work, /dd in
  > that list points to the hard drive.
  >
  > Vern

Here's what I would do because it works for me.

Start over with unpatched modules.
While running with a working OS9,  type:
save /h0/ddh0.dd h0    < this will save the device descriptor ( h0 ) to disk
with the appropriate file name, ddh0.dd.
patch THAT file from h0 to dd and place it in your config directory.

create a new boot list using that descriptor instead of the floppy dd
descriptor.
put cc3go in the bootlist as the last entry.
Shell goes into the default drive/cmds directory
grfdrv goes into the boot disk/cmds directory

Configure the bootlist so that related modules are more closely organized...
here's one of my bootlists...
Try to use this order in your bootlist as much as you can to avoid the BLOB.
 Lose T3.dd and MODPAK.  You probably won't be using it. This is the driver
and descriptor for the 300 baud modem pak. My T0-T3 point to my custom comm
ports.
 Lose T1.dd and SIO . You won't be using the bit banger for communications(I
hope)

   17 $C0 $47B370 . OS9p2

   67 $C0 $680456 . Init

   12 $C1 $FD1FEA . IOMan

   28 $D1 $EFBE13 . RBF

    0 $E1 $99A856 . SCSISYS < this will be replaced with YOUR driver

    1 $F1 $6B3061 . dd

    1 $F1 $03C5D0 . h0

    1 $F1 $5CD1B4 . h1

   12 $E1 $B9CCC8 . CC3Disk

   82 $F1 $45F566 . D0

   82 $F1 $F4A1AA . D1

   13 $D1 $F946CA . SCF

   16 $E1 $F737C2 . CC3IO

    1 $C1 $11ED90 . VDGInt

   14 $C1 $6E4441 . GrfInt

   83 $F1 $EC1C40 . Term

   83 $F1 $75DEBB . W

   83 $F1 $7CD180 . W1

   83 $F1 $8EE4C6 . W2

   83 $F1 $E42902 . W3

   83 $F1 $119408 . W4

   83 $F1 $C109F3 . W5

   83 $F1 $A3C36E . W6

   83 $F1 $AC6B4B . W7

   12 $E1 $C1EA10 . ACIAPAK

   82 $F1 $8A1932 . T0   << custom descriptor

   82 $F1 $8E8DB3 . T1   << custom descriptor

   82 $F1 $9E655D . T2   << if you have an aciapak this one is it.

   82 $F1 $DEA50E . T3   << custom descriptor

   12 $E1 $CC3EA4 . PRINTER << if you are going to use a printer use it and

   83 $F1 $DE40AC . P    << this descriptor.

   82 $F1 $B62078 . Td    << needed for some games

   83 $F1 $0E846A . FTDD  << needed for some games

    1 $E1 $74CBB4 . DblDrv << games again

    4 $D1 $AD6718 . PipeMan

    2 $E1 $5B2B56 . Piper

   80 $F1 $CC06AF . Pipe

   10 $C1 $E46D1B . Clock

    5 $11 $1006FE . CC3Go

If this doesn't work, then I'm out of suggestions.