[Coco] Modem ISP Problem (sort of OT)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 20:52:08 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/27/05 8:22:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ken.schunk at gmail.com writes:

>I've  seen this before, and it was related to the (getting fuzzy here)
>V.92  setting on the modem (or something like that). When I went into
>the  setup for the modem and disabled that, restricting it to (I think)
>V.90  it connected fine. It's been a couple of years since then so I
>might  have the "V." terms wrong.

Does it make sense that my modem is getting in trouble now (and not before)
because it is TOO modern, that is, using V92?  Like it's trying to force a
more modern protocol on the local branch ISP offices, than their equipment can
handle?  I'd have thought it was the reverse -- the ISP "upgraded" their  end
so now I can't talk to it.

Maybe they are now V92 and I can't deal with it.  So maybe hunt for a
USRobotics Web site and find some flash code?  ISTR USR merged with some  other
company a few years ago.

>Since it's an external you can try this:
>1 - take it to the  neighbor's house and try it there. No connect -
>it's the modem or the  modem setup.
>2 - if possible, use your neighbor's modem to connect at  your house.

OK -- I'll ask her if hers is external also.  If not, the grief  involved in
the testing would be nasty (serial port reconfig in Windows, usually  takes a
few tries).
Thanks, Mike K.