[Coco] Modem ISP Problem (sort of OT)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 20:51:54 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/27/05 1:42:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
zmerch at 30below.com writes:

>Another thing that can affect phone line quality is a long run to a  garage
>or somesuch

Thanks, but my PC is right next to the basement junction box where the  phone
lines come in.

One thing that DOES make a difference, at least in the maximum Baud rate
your modem can run, is the lightning-protection filter built into a lot of surge
suppressor power strips and UPS boxes.  I dutifully ran my modem line thru
the filter jacks.  On the old surge power strip, the best I could hit was  32K
Baud.  When I upgraded to a cheap UPS, it sometimes hit 41K.

So the L and C in those protectors must have an effect.

Back to my own problem -- note that nothing has been changed anywhere,
except maybe at my ISP end.  Thanks, Mike K.