[Coco] CoCo 3 Color Table for Printing. Does it Exist?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 27 10:32:58 EDT 2005

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently when I was working on a DECB program for the CoCo 3 RGB to S-Video
> TV project I wanted to change some colors.
>
> I opened the CoCo 3 Extended Basic Manual to the color code table on page
> 295 and found a list of the numbers from 0 to 63.
> Not very useful. (Is your manual page the same?)

Yes it is the same. You are supposed to add your own descriptive color
names as most people see colors slightly differently.

> This stopped me and I used another program instead. (Wheel)

> I am looking for a CoCo 3 Color Chart that I can print on my photo printer
> (Windows of Course).
>
> Does this exist?

Not that I know of.

> Or has someone built a table of the CoCo 3 Palette colors to 24 bit Color.

There is an algorithm in MESS based on one of John Kowalski's programs.
He may be able to supply a conversion chart.

> Have names been assigned to the 64 CoCo 3 Colors?

Not by any Coco people :)  If you do some research on standard color
charts as used by the paint industry, you may be able to get some
standardized names but you will have to eyeball the Coco colors to the
standard color charts.

> I would include the CoCo Color (0-63), the RGB 24 Bit Color (0-FF, 0-FF,
> 0-FF)  and the color name on a replacement for page 295 If I built one.

You should be able to make your own chart as the Coco RGB color format
is very simple. One palette byte is XX XX R1 G1 B1 R0 G0 B0. Since your
24 bit color also is to be R G B, the only question will be how to scale
the intensity from 6 bits to 8 bits. You can certainly do that by eye.