[Coco] OT: Linux question

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Aug 24 12:18:42 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 06:35:04AM -0700, Robert Emery wrote:

> I have a Linux server on a network (SCO Open Server, rel.5).
> I need to be able to copy the console history file(s) from that server to my
> Windows PC on the same network. Files I need to copy should be in c:\console
> and are named log.a1, log.a2, etc...

Technically, SCO Open Server is not Linux.  It is Unix SVr4.  I point
that out not to embarass you, but only to note that the specifics of
dealing with SCO are very likely very different than with any
distribution of Linux.

Your best bet is probably to use ssh (specifically OpenSSH, others
might work).  Make sure that networking is working between your SCO
box and your Windows box.  Then, make sure you have your ssh server
installed and running (this part will likely be very SCO-specific,
so I can't help).

Once ssh is up, you will need an ssh client for your Windows box.
Many people use PuTTY, I like Mindterm or OpenSSH (via Cygwin), YMMV.
Most/all versions of ssh provide a built-in file transfer factility.
With OpenSSH, you can execute a command like this:

	scp scobox:/path/to/logs c:\console

That should copy the /path/to/logs file on scobox to c:\console on
your Windows box.

Good luck!

John

P.S.  A fresh Fedora installation to replace that old version of SCO
is highly recommended...
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com