[coco] 6309 speed

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Aug 4 18:12:37 EDT 2005

Gene

First off you are determining the speed of the processor by observation of the rise
and fall times of the CMOS output pair of transistors. That tells you nothing of the
switching characteristics of the internal CMOS transistors nor propogation of a
signal through the many levels of N and P  MOS transistors that make up logic
gates within the IC.

All CMOS processes are not equal. Switcing characteristics are determined by load
capacitance and on resistances (Rds) of the CMOS output devices. Generally
speaking the geometries of the CMOS output transistors are slightly larger than
those used internal to the die. This allows the outputs to sink and source more
current and handle larger capacitive loads.

What limited the old 4000 series of CMOS in their speed was that rather large gate
capacitance and the large ON resistances of the Drain/Source channel (Rds) of the
NMOS and PMOS transistors internal the the devices. This was the early years of
CMOS. And they were compared to later CMOS processes that improved
geometrries and well construction that allowed CMOS to move incredibly faster.

Lastly what I also caution is that just because one 6309 runs at say 20 or 30 MHz
does not necessarily mean all will. There will be a frequency where each individual
IC will cease to function properly. Two ICs from the same wafer, one could crap out
at 5MHz and the other at 12MHz. There is no way to tell unless you test each
individual part. By specing the 63C09, Hitachi is guaranteeing that the IC will
operate to 3 MHz. That is all they test to. Any higher and that is a bonus. ICs vary
from their position on the wafer and from wafer lot to wafer lot. Statistically I would
say there is a frequency around 5 or 6 MHz where say 70 to 80% of all will work to.
As one pushes the frequency higher, less and less will work properly. FInally you will
get to a frequency where less than 1% of all ICs  will work properly.

james