[coco] 6309 speed

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 22:30:26 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 11:09, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Gene
>
>I seriously doubt that 20 to 30 MHz speeds could be obtained. At
> least not operating at 5VDC.  Maybe at 6.5 VDC. More realistic is 5
> to 10 MHz. The problem wil lbe not all will do that. Maybe 1% of
> all 6309 will do 10MHz. Maybe 50% will do 5 MHz.
>
>Output waveforms alone are not a sufficient means of estimating the
> speed of a processor. The determining factor is the internal logic
> used to do the Instruction decode, addressing mode decode and ALU
> function. The problem is the delay time through the logic and the
> routing of busses through the chip. The 6809 uses a combination of
> synchronous and asynchronous logic. It is the asynchronous logic
> that is of most concern.

Which is why I mentioned the glitches on some pins early in the cycle.
If those are going to represent a fixed delay from the clock pulse,
then I can see problems well before 30 mhz, possibly as low as 8 or
10 mhz.  IIRC, they were about 30-45 ns after the clock edge, but I
don't recall which clock or which edge now.  At the current speed,
they are rather benign, and any ttl buffering done will probably
gobble them up.  They aren't full swings by the time they get thru
the buffering in the late mpi I have.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)