[coco] 6309 speed

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 22:23:35 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 10:34, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Roy
>
>The CMOS process that the 6309 was most likely done on is prior to
>high speed or HCMOS days. Outside a potentential die shrink
>during production, I doubt much other changed.
>
>Most likely done on 9V or 11V CMOS and at 5 VDC, I doubt the
>speed can exceed much beyond 5 MHZ or so. Then that will need
>proper heat sinking. The main problem in heat is the actual plastic
>dip package itself. Plastic is not a great conductor of heat.
>
>james

I don't recall ever seeing a regular cmos transition in less than 25
or 30 ns, and that took 28 volts on a 15 volt rated chip to do that.
I was using it as an edge generator in a tv character generator.  It
ran about 20 degrees above ambient, and did it 24/7 for several
years.

The 63C09's that I have can muster up edges on most pins as fast as my
scope can see, 10 ns as its only a 100mhz dual trace.  That sort of
speed isn't old time plain cmos by quite a long row of apple trees.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)