[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] 1.44 disk

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 08:31:57 EDT 2005

> Here, I've tried it with the hd hole both open, and taped over with
> black tape in case it was a photocell detector, as better drives are.
>
> Neither will allow an HD diskette to function as a DD diskette in any
> of the drives I have, when the controller is running at 250 kilobaud.

Just to clarify, based on my experience...
I have some 3.5" HD disks with taped over density holes that have been working
fine since around last October. One of those disks started giving me IO errors,
but I realized I had it too close to a magnetized screwdriver.

The main caveat I found was that in taping over the HD hole, taping only the
top side of the disk is prone to failure, as the switch is generally pushing up
from the bottom. Even with tape on the bottom, sometimes the switch can
gradually depress the tape enough to make the drive think it should be in HD
mode. (Some of us have glued the switch down for that reason.) Also, some tape
may not fully block the IR light used by optical switches, so it's a good idea
to tape both sides, use black tape, and maybe even fill the hole with
something.

cheers,
Bob

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>