[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] 1.44 disk

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 08:02:56 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 07:40, Davey Brain wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 15:38, stacey wrote:
>>>can u use 1.44 diskettes in a 720k drive   will they work ok
>>
>> Generally speaking, no.  The media for the HD disks has a magnetic
>> coating thats harder magneticly, and requires more drive to make
>> an adequate recording.  It might work 5 minutes after you do it,
>> but 2 weeks later all bets are off.
>>
>> I've noticed that todays crop of aftermarket 3.5" floppies also
>> seem to have another problem.  Insert an HD diskette, and they
>> demand a 500 kilobaud data rate and will not function at all at
>> the 250 kilobaud rate the coco controllers can muster.  Same drive
>> with a DD diskette in it works flawlessly at the coco's 250
>> kilobaud data rate.
>
>Hi,
>I held off on this discussion but now I must jump in as we have been
>round & round this topic in the TI-99 groups and I can state with
> 100% confidence that there is absolutely no (zero, nada, zip)
> difference in the magnetic coercivity between 720k and 1.44m
> brand-name floppies; the only major difference is the number of
> holes in the plastic. On the TI-99 they can be used interchangably
> with 100% confidence & reliability.

Maybe the TI99's disk driver hardware runs at 500 kilobaud?  This is
also the first time anyone has stated that the media is EXACTLY the
same.  My figures from some time back held that HD media was about
50% harder in coercivity.  In 5.25" floppies, the difference in the
surface is quite visible, and in the cases where I've slide the door
back to look at the 3.5's, the HD's always had the smoother, darker
coating.

Here, I've tried it with the hd hole both open, and taped over with
black tape in case it was a photocell detector, as better drives are.

Neither will allow an HD diskette to function as a DD diskette in any
of the drives I have, when the controller is running at 250 kilobaud.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)