[Coco] Re: Someone might come to complain

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Apr 30 22:30:49 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> As far as an ISP that will let you run your own MTA, I use Speakeasy
> DSL, they explicitly allow servers, they will give you shell account,
> mass storage, hosting, etc. If you can get it in your area,

No DSL available as I am 9 miles away from the CO as the crow flies and
much farther as the wires would be run.

The local telephone monopoly, in spite of their advertisements about
offering the service does not appear interested in putting in the
equipment needed to service anyone that is not right next to their
central switching office.

 From newspaper reports, it appears that they are waiting to get the FCC
to change the rules so that they would not have to allow services like
Speakeasy to resell the DSL lines to provide a higher quality service at
a lower monthly rate.

 From what I can see, if the DSL lines were run, there would be no
shortage of ISPs to lease them through.  Several of the services here
seem to have a good reputation.

-John
wb8tyw(a)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only