[Coco] Someone might come to complain

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Apr 29 15:08:40 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 13:39 -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:

> I've had this problem trying to talk to a few Portal-9 customers to send
> them their key.  SPAM filters just plain suck. My own ISP catches a
> tremendous amount of real SPAM, which is great, but they also catch real
> e-mails and make me have to weed through their report e-mails to see which
> e-mails are not junk.  It takes less time to just hit delete on the obvious
> junk letters as they come in.

I get a lot of spam mails on my jhoger at pobox.com account, since I give
it out to everyone. It's my universal email address so I refuse to give
in and try to hide it.

I have my pobox filters set up to either bounce the mail immediately, or
let it through.

That way, at least the sender *knows* that I didn't get the email since
it is immediately bounced back to them, never stored/delayed anywhere.

If you run your own MTA you can do the same thing.

Some people even think that the spammers remove bouncing addresses from
lists, so it may even help to reduce the volume of spam.

But there's no way I could filter through it all manually. Way too much
work...

-- John.