[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] end of discussion!start new

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Thu Apr 28 14:37:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:18:09 -0600 "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
<glenvdb at hotmail.com> writes:

> Actually, I aways thought the CoCo did rather well dispite Lack of
> marketing. When all the other 8 bit machines had rather agressive
> marketing,
> tons of TV commericals, Celebrty Endorsments (who could forget Bill
> Cosby
> pumping the TI 99/4A), The CoCo contiuned to sell for at least 10
> years!
> Infact, the only TV comericals I ever remember from the CoCo were
> just Radio
> Shack Comericals, that had the CoCo as part of what ever was on
> sale. I
> could be wrong, but that was just up here in Canada! The CRTC tended
> to Edit
> American Comericals out with Canadian ones.
>

> >Even a good product can benefit from aggressive marketing -
> something
> >the coco really never had.

I totally 100% agree with you. I never saw a single ad for the Coco on TV
or anywhere else other than Radio shack catalogs and flyers. I never had
even heard of a Coco until my Dad got me one for Christmas in 1983. I
didn't know anyone else in school who had a Coco. All my friends had
Commodores or Apples or Ataris.

I think Tandy's #1 biggest mistake with the Coco was not advertising it
more aggressively. In fact, I really didn't see ANY advertizing! It was a
crime, in my opinion.

Fred Provoncha
Stansbury Park, UT