[Coco] mess questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 28 08:16:55 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> OK, trying to use MESS under Linux, hopefully someone can answer:
>
> a) how do I get into the debugger? Is this part of xmess by default or
> do I need to recompile? The User Interface menu shows Toggle Debugger on
> F5 but that doesn't seem to do anything

Recompile and then alter an .ini file (assuming they are present in the
Linux version) so that the debugger can be used.

> b) How do I fix the ridiculous keyboard mapping to PC style (I know *why
> * it is the way it is, I just want to know how to fix it...)

Keyboard mapping (at least in Windows version) can be adjusted from
within Coco emulation. There will either be an Option selection on a
menu bar or from a ScrollLock/Tab sequence. Again if the Linux version
has the same features as Linux.

> c) Quick easy way to load cross compiled machine language programs into
> mess? I'm trying to create a ROM-based Forth interpreter which takes
> full advantage of the Coco 3... starting with a port of CamelForth 6809
> (that part should be easy, I've already done it for the Tandy WP-2 Z80
> CamelForth).

If you mean you want to modify MESS itself rather than write 6809 code,
you will need to modify the MESS source and recompile. It won't be easy
as the source is massive.

If you mean you have already created a 6809 ml program and want to load
it into the Coco emulated environment, use any of several tools that
place files from your PC onto .dsk disk images.