[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 19, Issue 133

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Tue Apr 26 11:00:33 EDT 2005

Hi,

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> In general Linux works fine on laptops, ACPI support has come a long
> way. Generally biggest differences between a laptop and desktop install
> is suspend, ACPI issues. THe other thing is finding drivers for each
> othe components, like onboard winmodems, dvd burners, touchpads, etc.
> Sometimes stuff just works sometimes it doesn't but these days there's
>
> -- John.

	One of the laptops is a Toshiba Satellite 2775XDVD (a pIII at 650),
purchased in late 2000. I initially had problems with 3 things:  the
Savage IX video, the internal modem, and card bus support. It took a
year or so to get the modem and card bus working. The only thing I have
not ever tried to get to work is the NTSC video out. This laptop also
has the best sound of any laptop I have ever heard. Like a mini boom
box. Screen blanking even works. The things I would research ahead of
time are the video chipset, the internal modem, the pcmcia/card bus
bridge, and maybe the audio system.

					kevin