[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 19, Issue 133

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Apr 26 01:13:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 22:08 -0400, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> I'd love to pick up an out of date laptop, put Linux on it, and run  UltiMusE
> on the road, but installing Linux on anything is not easy, and I  probably
> haven't the vocal cords left to do it on a laptop.  --Mike  K.

In fact your best bet is *not* to get a latest and greatest laptop.

Usually when someone gets a laptop working with Linux, they post a howto
about what they had to do to get it working, kernel compile options,
boot options, x config files, etc.

Just find the laptop you want, then search google to see who has
installed Linux on it.

In general Linux works fine on laptops, ACPI support has come a long
way. Generally biggest differences between a laptop and desktop install
is suspend, ACPI issues. THe other thing is finding drivers for each
othe components, like onboard winmodems, dvd burners, touchpads, etc.
Sometimes stuff just works sometimes it doesn't but these days there's
usually info on the web about how to make it work.

The other possibility is to buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed like
EmperorLinux, but then you're willing to shell out the bucks. Just
depends on what your free time is worth.

Also see this site:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

-- John.