[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 19, Issue 133

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Mon Apr 25 23:16:10 EDT 2005

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/25/05 7:31:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, farna at att.net
> writes:
>

>>I  think it's the ultimate thumb to MS -- I'm running Open Office on my
>
> laptop!
>

> Well that's good, but, assuming you're running it under Linux, I wonder  what
> you had to go thru to get Linux (any flavor) working on the laptop?
>
> I'd love to pick up an out of date laptop, put Linux on it, and run  UltiMusE
> on the road, but installing Linux on anything is not easy, and I  probably
> haven't the vocal cords left to do it on a laptop.  --Mike  K.

Mike~

	You are right about the laptops and linux, since laptops tend to be
less than standard.  got to make them light and razor thin, but bigger
than our PDA...go figure !  Anyways, Linux has come along way at least
in the number of devices it can handle.  If you buy a laptop that is not
too old, most linux distributions can handle it.  I bet Mandrake or
Fedora or Suse all will be a breeze to install on a modern Laptop.   I
had a 486 laptop built by the company I worked for, Mandrake 7.0
installed nicely, except the laptop was also pen based, Mandrake had no
clue.  HD, Floppy, PMCIA, CDROM keyboard and touchpad mouse worked
without any tweaking.

Open office also runs on Windows.  I use Open Office on W98, Linux and
Mac X,  I use Star office 7 on Solaris, which is the commercial version
of Open office.   Mike you should give it a try. 2.0 beta still has a
few problems with Word documents, things that used to work in version
1.1.4, but the things that didn't work in 1.1.4 now works in 2.0 beta.
Hopefully when 2.0 gets released those little bugs will be squashed.

Oh, I run 1.1.4 on everything but W98 where I run both versions.  I had
a problem with a word doc and tables under 1.1.4 where 2.0 beta the
problem was fixed.

~David Hazelton