[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 24 13:48:51 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> Coco/Linux, Coco/BSD, Coco/FreeDOS, Coco/ReactOS, etc. all could make
> sense. Coco/WinXP doesn't as far as I can tell, for reasons that myself,
> Merch, and Frank have already outlined.
>
> In any event Coco/Linux is not an attempt to force anyone to learn
> Linux. In fact, you should think of Linux in such a picture more like a
> BIOS chip. How often do you get worked up about which vendor's BIOS is
> running in your computer? For a machine like this, Linux is just the
> interface to the hardware that gives us a lot of nice ready-made juicy
> drivers to use.

All I have to say about the matter is this: I would hope that emulators
would be designed for portability, so that they are not tied to a
particular host operating system.

This past CoCoFest was a first for me; I voluntarily bought a computer
with Windows installed. It cost $35, and none of that money, to the best
of my knowledge, went to Microsoft. Had the latter not been the case, I
would not have considered the purchase for a second--and that is why
I've never, until now, used any of the CoCo emulators that run under
Windows.

	James