[Coco] Re: The evolution of the Coco..

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sat Apr 23 23:02:00 EDT 2005

John E. Malmberg wrote:

>> One could buy 100 mainboards and effectively "lock" the platform. I doubt
>> you'd ever be able to sell more than this.
>

> Having watched one support organization try this in order to simplify
> spares maintenance, I would not count on that one working.
>
> In a batch of allegedly 500 identical motherboards there were several
> manufacturing changes that were incompatible at many levels.
>
> It took two months of pushing at high levels to get one of the suppliers
> to the motherboard to admit to changing out the video chip to a new
> generation with out notifying the motherboard manufacturer.

I had a similar experience, Seagate changed an IDE controller board on
their laptop drive. We were having problems on have of the Laptops we
were building, no rhyme or reason.  Took weeks just to figure it was the
drive.  Seagate refused to acknowledge the change until we showed them
the easily spottable changes on the IDE controller part of the drive.

> -John
> wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

~David Hazelton