[Coco] The evolution of the Coco..

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Fri Apr 22 19:52:05 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 07:37 +1000, Nickolas Marentes wrote:
>
>>I've brought this idea up before but here goes again...
>>
>>What about using a Micro ATX PC mainboard with all I/O onboard and
>>reprogramming the BIOS flash chip with a 6809/CoCo emulator.
>>

> I think it's a good idea. The LinuxBIOS project has code for a free BIOS
> + minimal kernel that fits in the flash chip. If that + MESS and the
> libraries it depends upon could be fit in there, you would have a
> solution. You would probably have to chop MESS down a lot though.
>
> Alternatively you could use MESS for DOS and some embedded DOS like
> General Software DOS. Have to pay for that though.
>
> I'd prefer starting with an embedded computer though, since then we
> could make a portable computer out of it, ideally one with long battery
> life in the 20 hour range like the Model 100.
>

> Now the software development could be started with Linux on the desktop.
> For those who can't afford the specific hardware board, you could always
> provide a live CD which boots (fast) straight to MESS. This would also
> be a good development platform, considering the port to LinuxBIOS.
>

> If one looks at the coco as more than just the sum of its hardware, I
> think this is a good solution for a next generation coco. The point
> would not be to make yet another PC or embedded computer, but use it as
> a foundation to add on the other intangibles to make another great
> hobbyist computer in the coco line.
>
> -- John.

If you are going to all that trouble, why don't just do what every other
OS does and write a new boot record.  The MBR could either boot a strip
down DOS and have command.com be MESS ....or better yet have Boisy port
Nitro to X86 :)  Just image how fast it would be!

My two cents worth..

~David Hazelton