[Coco] The evolution of the Coco..

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Apr 22 18:13:07 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 07:37 +1000, Nickolas Marentes wrote:
> I've brought this idea up before but here goes again...
>
> What about using a Micro ATX PC mainboard with all I/O onboard and
> reprogramming the BIOS flash chip with a 6809/CoCo emulator.

I think it's a good idea. The LinuxBIOS project has code for a free BIOS
+ minimal kernel that fits in the flash chip. If that + MESS and the
libraries it depends upon could be fit in there, you would have a
solution. You would probably have to chop MESS down a lot though.

Alternatively you could use MESS for DOS and some embedded DOS like
General Software DOS. Have to pay for that though.

I'd prefer starting with an embedded computer though, since then we
could make a portable computer out of it, ideally one with long battery
life in the 20 hour range like the Model 100.

Now the software development could be started with Linux on the desktop.
For those who can't afford the specific hardware board, you could always
provide a live CD which boots (fast) straight to MESS. This would also
be a good development platform, considering the port to LinuxBIOS.

If one looks at the coco as more than just the sum of its hardware, I
think this is a good solution for a next generation coco. The point
would not be to make yet another PC or embedded computer, but use it as
a foundation to add on the other intangibles to make another great
hobbyist computer in the coco line.

-- John.