[Coco]: Tandy's biggest mistakes thread

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 08:17:25 EDT 2005

On 04/20/2005 01:26 pm, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> Tandy intended the Coco originally as a game computer and a entry
> learning level computer. Just look at the manuals that were written
> and came with the Coco. They were written most likely at a 6th
> grade level of  understanding. The Coco was never intended to be a
> competior to the IMB clones and the Comodores and Amigas.

The Color Computer came along more than a year before IBM's Boca Raton project
was released and a _long_ time before the Amiga.  The Commodore 6502 &seq
machines were never a competitor to the CoCo, no matter how many units were
sold -- the CoCo cassette subsystem was faster and more reliable than any
disk setup Commodore produced until years later.  (The Color Computer was
also faster than any machine based on an Intel 8088 -- as I demonstrated many
times at my RSCC with a Coco 1 set up next to a T1k or a [ack phfft] T1200).

Most of you who never actually worked for The Shack back in the day won't
recall the Tandy 1200.  I envy you.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

In my opinion, the worst unintended consequence of the Americans with
Disabilities Act is that it is impossible to horsewhip a man on the
steps of his club when the steps have been replaced with a ramp.