[Coco] Direct Page space under rom ...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Apr 19 12:19:08 EDT 2005

Boisy/Kevin

Yes the IRQ service rou tines can get goofed up if tou alter the DP
register. What will happen is in the ISR,  should it use an instruction
that is a direct address mode instruction, LDA opcode 96,  you will
have a problem.

Example

The ISR somewhere in its code decides to load avariable that
RSDOS expects to be in address $0024. Lets say you changed the
DP register to $FE. When the ISR does an LDA $24 in direct
address mode, the ISR is expecting the DP register to have $00
stored in it. If it is still $FE from your code then instead of loadig
avariable at $0024, it will load from address $FE24.

What you will have to do in your program is redirect the ISR for IRQ
and FIRQ and NMI to your own program. In the beginning of the
ISR you will have to restore the DP to what the ISR expects to have
in the DP register and then jump to the ISR in basic code.

What you have to do is revector the ISRs so that you can restore
the DP to its correct value before the ISR executes. That is if the
ISR used direct addressing mode on any one instruction. If they do
not then there is no problem.

james