[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

Steve Ostrom smostrom at mn.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 00:28:56 EDT 2005

Mr. Diffendaffer:

I think the root of this problem is that you are no longer still
interested in your Coco.  That would explain why you seem to be bashing
Cloud-9's efforts to create some new and exciting things for the Coco
for those of us who are still in love.  The Coco will never be as fast
or do as many things as a PC.  You can buy a new e-machines PC for the
same cost that Cloud-9 is charging for the Superboard.  That's not the
point and I don't think you will ever see this point.  I know how many
hundreds of hours Mark and Boisy have put into this board, and I know
they are doing it right, a step at a time.  It's a hobby machine, and
one that most of us on this list still love to play with and discuss.

If I wrote a software game for the Coco this year, and spent hundreds of
hours perfecting it, and planned to sell it for $30, and someone like
you started bashing my efforts as a waste of time, I would get pretty
pissed off.  I know it might only sell a hundred copies.  I'd probably
lose money on the deal.  Mark and Boisy are trying to do something
similar with the Superboard, but they hope to make a small profit, at
least on the actual hardware.  There's no way that selling 100
Superboards at $300 will make them rich, or pay for their development
time.  But they have created something new for the Coco that many of us
are very anxiously waiting for.

Maybe you would take them up on their challenge.  Go ahead and make a
board for the Coco that will do the same things.  You have the
self-expressed expertise to do this easily, and the sources of parts to
do it cheaply.  I will buy your first board as long as it does the same
things that the Superboard will do, and as long as you will promise to
be around to support it.  And if I buy your board #00001, then I'm sure
others will follow, and you will make a nice pile of money because your
profit on each board will be at least $200 ($300 - your cost of $100).

When can I see board #00001 from you?  If you don't think that it would
be worth your time to produce this item, then please stop your tirade
against Cloud-9.  I hope that you are just a distant Coco user and not a
troll, because the Coco world could use someone of your talent to
supplement the efforts of Cloud-9, and others still trying to make a
contribution to the Coco cause.

Thanks for listening.

coco-Steve