[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] What's wrong with this Picture

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Apr 18 18:14:38 EDT 2005

On 18 Apr 2005 at 12:30, Kevin Diggs wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:30:22 -0700
From:           	Kevin Diggs <kevdig at hypersurf.com>
To:             	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
<coco at maltedmedia.com>
Subject:        	Re: [Coco] Re: [Color Computer] What's wrong with this
Picture
<coco at maltedmedia.com>
	<mailto:coco-
	<mailto:coco-

> Hi,
>
> James the Animal Tamer wrote:
> >
> >>OH! JOY! and just relive Tandy's worst mistake on the COCO ever.
> >

> > I vote that Tandy's worst mistake on the CoCo was to make the
> > MC-10's BASIC tokens different from the CoCo's.  This would be just
> > behind making the MC-10 at all.
> >

>  If we are voting, here are some other candidates::
>
>  1) not using a 68008 in the tre (backwards compatability - who needs
> that? could they have put a 6809 in a cart that could have itself had
> rompaks plugged into it?)
********

Why use an 8 bit data buss on a 32 bit machine. MC68008??? Why not the
MC68HC000FN12?

>  2) not using some of the fancier wires on the 6809
>  3) the cm-8 - we deserved better

*********
Definitley can't argue here.

>  4) tre should have had a switching PS
*********

Switching power supplies are noisy and require more filtering on the su pply lines as
well as the AC lines. For the power that the stock tre, a linear su pply is just as cost
effective and size wise.

*********
>  5) sloppy peripheral decoding (using 32 precious addresses when 4
>  would do)

*********

That can be easily solved with a bit of hacking.

james