[Coco] Kudos to Roger!

David golgotha at toughguy.net
Sun Apr 17 23:44:57 EDT 2005

John Donaldson wrote:

> Roger,
>   The vedio was great. Glad I could help out when I did. As for next
> year, I think
> leaving the vedio as it is would do. I would love to see sound as then
> one could follow
> the seminars, such as the one David Kreil did right in front of the
> camera. LOL.Not sure
> how much more it would take to add sound, but I think that is all that
> would be needed
> and maby a terminal there at the webcam for Fest-goers to type msg on.
>    Next year Dave Kelly needs to also put a sign at the webcam, so
> people would know
> to stop and wave at the camera. LOL
>    Never did see Boisy or Allen stop by and wave...
>
> John Donaldson
>

> Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>> At 06:46 PM 4/17/2005, you wrote:
>>
>>> I, as a "virtual attendee" to the CoCoFest, would like to extend
>>> kudos to
>>> Roger Taylor for all his efforts over the past year improving the
>>> CoCochat
>>> page. It has turned out to be an extremely useful resource and
>>> communication
>>> tool for the current Global CoCo community as was found with it's
>>> successful
>>> application as the Live chat and web cam access to the fest.
>>>
>>> Also kudos must go to Dave Kelly for supplying the Linux PC and web
>>> cam at
>>> the fest end.
>>>
>>> You 2 alone helped extend the CoCo experience to other unable to
>>> attend the
>>> fest (I'm in Australia).
>>>
>>> Well done!
>>> Nick
>>

>> Thank you, Nick!
>>
>> Considering the circumstances, I am surprised we got this working on
>> time.  It was really a group effort because I was on the interstate
>> from 6:45am to 10am and all I had was my cel phone.  I gave some
>> incorrect FTP login info to Dave Kelly on Thursday and I finally got
>> to speak with him on Saturday morning to correct this, after which
>> the video came in fine.  Thanks for your time and efforts, Dave.  We
>> turned what seemed like a spontaneous idea into something real in a
>> Very short time and it was nice to see a past dream become reality.
>>
>> Dave is the real person behind the video feed.  I added a
>> right-aligned picture to the chat room template called "image.jpg"
>> sized at 320x240.  The effect was that the picture floated in the
>> message area just like a static web page layout.  The job of Dave was
>> to FTP the image in as often as he liked, overwriting the old image.
>> Since the CoCo Cafe has an auto refresh, plus it refreshes when you
>> send a message or a blank message, and since the page uses a fade-in
>> effect, the new video images appeared in a nice manner as people
>> talked.  Simple enough and 100% HTML to the web browser you guys
>> used.  Ofcourse, the CoCo Cafe uses a script written in pure Pentium
>> assembly by yours truly so after a year+ of testing and success, I
>> felt like it was perfect for merging with the fest cam -- so much
>> that I chose to go ahead with my plans to go out of town instead of
>> sitting nervously at my PC during the entire fest.  When I got back
>> in town, Borden called me in to work, so I was NOT able to attend the
>> virtual fest in the chatroom at any time to confirm how smooth it
>> worked.  Maybe others can post more feedback.
>>
>> We could take this to another level if people would post their new
>> ideas of what should be for next year or a next fest of any kind,
>> keeping in mind that an idea of streaming video/audio requires a lot
>> more than what CoCo3.com is setup for.  Someone said audio would have
>> been nice, and I agree.  However, the video alone and the live
>> messages made for a nice virtual fest for those who could not go or
>> have never been.
>>
>> Cheers,

Thanks to Roger and David K for setting up the cam - I'm a little
annoyed that I didn't get a chance to see any live images due to being
occupied whilst things were live.

As for 'next year' - perhaps some of the chat software that is available
could be used? I know that software such as MSN Messenger lets you use a
webcam, and also audio in some form or another - probably not the ideal
solution, but im sure there's software out there that -would- be ideal,
or at least better than silence :P

It was great to have a chat in almost-realtime with some other
distance-festees, and I hope we can do it again soon!

- David (the DavidFromAusLand David)