[Coco] Kudos to Roger!

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Apr 17 21:42:54 EDT 2005

At 06:46 PM 4/17/2005, you wrote:
>I, as a "virtual attendee" to the CoCoFest, would like to extend kudos to
>Roger Taylor for all his efforts over the past year improving the CoCochat
>page. It has turned out to be an extremely useful resource and communication
>tool for the current Global CoCo community as was found with it's successful
>application as the Live chat and web cam access to the fest.
>
>Also kudos must go to Dave Kelly for supplying the Linux PC and web cam at
>the fest end.
>
>You 2 alone helped extend the CoCo experience to other unable to attend the
>fest (I'm in Australia).
>
>Well done!
>Nick

Thank you, Nick!

Considering the circumstances, I am surprised we got this working on
time.  It was really a group effort because I was on the interstate from
6:45am to 10am and all I had was my cel phone.  I gave some incorrect FTP
login info to Dave Kelly on Thursday and I finally got to speak with him on
Saturday morning to correct this, after which the video came in
fine.  Thanks for your time and efforts, Dave.  We turned what seemed like
a spontaneous idea into something real in a Very short time and it was nice
to see a past dream become reality.

Dave is the real person behind the video feed.  I added a right-aligned
picture to the chat room template called "image.jpg" sized at 320x240.  The
effect was that the picture floated in the message area just like a static
web page layout.  The job of Dave was to FTP the image in as often as he
liked, overwriting the old image.  Since the CoCo Cafe has an auto refresh,
plus it refreshes when you send a message or a blank message, and since the
page uses a fade-in effect, the new video images appeared in a nice manner
as people talked.  Simple enough and 100% HTML to the web browser you guys
used.  Ofcourse, the CoCo Cafe uses a script written in pure Pentium
assembly by yours truly so after a year+ of testing and success, I felt
like it was perfect for merging with the fest cam -- so much that I chose
to go ahead with my plans to go out of town instead of sitting nervously at
my PC during the entire fest.  When I got back in town, Borden called me in
to work, so I was NOT able to attend the virtual fest in the chatroom at
any time to confirm how smooth it worked.  Maybe others can post more feedback.

We could take this to another level if people would post their new ideas of
what should be for next year or a next fest of any kind, keeping in mind
that an idea of streaming video/audio requires a lot more than what
CoCo3.com is setup for.  Someone said audio would have been nice, and I
agree.  However, the video alone and the live messages made for a nice
virtual fest for those who could not go or have never been.

Cheers,

--
Roger Taylor