[Coco] Off-topic: gallons

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Apr 14 20:54:24 EDT 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 12:32 PM 4/14/05 -0700, Alex Evans wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2005, at 12:01 AM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
>>
>>> And what, pray tell, is measured in dry gallons?  (Dry paint, maybe?)
>>
>> Grain, fruit, vegetables, anything you may sell by volume that isn't a
>> liquid.
>
> Not a country boy, eh? Grain is measured by weight. Fruits and
> vegetables
> are sold by weight in small quantities or in dry volume of bushels and
> pecks. Sometimes you'll see quarts and pints. Don't think you'll find
> a dry
> measure gallon; that's 1/2 peck.

A dry gallon is not a commonly used measure, and while grain is
generally measured by weight these days (after all settling can change
volume) one of the traditional ways has been to use the dry gallon
(which is the base U.S. dry volumetric measure, the peck is a derived
unit), or more commonly larger measure.  Incidentally I did do much of
my growing up in the country in Alleghany County Virginia.

Incidentally a dry gallon is not much smaller than an imperial gallon
being 4.404L vs 4.546L.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?