[Coco] CoCo2, a speed demon?

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 07:08:55 EDT 2005

--- Diego Barizo <diegoba at adinet.com.uy> wrote:
> After reading a few times in different websites that the CoCo was a slow
> computer (I guess ppl is used to MHz=Speed), I decided to do some
> benchmarking.
<snip>
> But my surprise came today, while testing a CoCo 2. Un-POKEd, it is a
> lot faster than the 3. When POKEd, they come about even....
> I found this on my POKEs list. Could this be the cause?
>
> POKE &HA1C1,&H39:FOR F=&HA1CA to &HA1C1
> STEP -1:READA:POKE F,A:NEXT F:DATA 121,39,
> 72,67,0,255,182,2,255,127
> put as the first line of your program
> it will speed up your computer by about
> 15%!! It patches the keyboard scan routine

Diego, when developing Color FOG I tested that routine and was not very
impressed with the resulting speedup. Next I tried POKE&HADEB,57 and was
pleasantly surprised by the noticeably smoother mouse action... my test of what
worked or didn't.

That poke also prevents Basic from polling for Break and Shift+@ constantly,
but ON BRK GOTO still works. This means in Basic you have to plan for a way to
exit your program (or hit reset), which I see as an added bonus.

I'd like to see how that poke affects your benchmark on the CoCo3, with and
without the high-speed poke. I doubt it would work on the CoCo2 since it has a
different Rom version.

Bob