[Coco] Re: Converter update

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Apr 8 11:23:57 EDT 2005

Yes but an 8 pin MC would be limited in its scope of duty.

Some CPLDs have as much as 118 pins of I/O and leave room for
additions and adaptability. As the size and I/O of a CPLD does
increase, its cost advantage over an MC evaporates. The cost
break between the two in terms of I/O, programbility and board
space come when CPLDs reach about 1600 gates and over 60 I/O
pins.

Then CPLDs can be more expensive. Large CPLDs and small
FPGAs have one feature over any MC. That is a soft processor can
be created with specific instruction sets to do specific tasks. These
can be changed readily easier than a fixed instrtuction set MC.

There advantages of both worlds the hardest part is to know when
and where to use the right parts.

james