[Coco] Re: Converter update

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 04:16:49 EDT 2005

Torsten at Dittel.info writes:

<<
 I agree an MC would speed things up and make it more flexible for future
 adaptions. I'm sure there are cheap solutions out there which are
 EEPROMable via a serial port like the 6811 has been. Maybe the CoCo
 should better "talk serial" to the MC and the MC doing all the
 communication with the AL chips with its IC2 bus.

 Torsten >>

     I pondered over various options like a micro controller.    I also
had the option of using a programmable PLL instead of making
one of discrete components.     My number one goal was make
a converter for the coco3 exclusively and to make it at a minimum
cost.   I used the coco3 to program the converter because I wanted
to avoid the additional cost of the microcontroller.     I would prefer
to use a pal because it would require less PC board area and
be cheaper than a microcontroller.
        I will probably investigate other options for later versions
of the converter just to see how much they add
to the price.   The limiting factor is the price of a commercial
converter like the XRGB2+ at about $200.    I would like to stay
far below half price for that unit.   Users of this first version of this unit
may just have to leave it plugged into a socket that doesn't  disconnect
when the computer itself is turned off.

       I already have  10 pc boards with this basic design.
If I produce more units past this initial first 10 I will look
into all options for a possible revision of the design that are
cost effective.

Roy