[Coco] Pokes

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:30:10 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> Rumor has it that L. Curtis Boyle may have mentioned these words:
> >On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:10:44 -0700, John R. Hogerhuis <jhoger at pobox.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Do I recall correctly in that Cassette still works with double speed
> >>pokes, it's just that you've got to be at double speed to read them
> >>back?
> >>
> >>Or does it really hork things up?
>
> Not with high quality tape and a good recorder, but...
>
> >    It can work, but works better if you do the POKE that extends the file
> >header tone (don't remember what the POKE is, though).
>
> It was a set of 3 pokes, unforch, I don't know what they were, either.
> However, I used 'em quite a bit 'way back in the day' on my CoCo2...

It was 3 pokes on a CoCo 1/2 running in the "one and a half speed" mode
(ROM at double speed, RAM at single speed).  But in the CoCo 3's full double
speed mode, no pokes should be needed, just being in the same speed mode to read
the tape as you were in when you wrote it.  Though you'd need to allow extra
time for the motor to come up to speed (MOTOR ON in advance).

Art