[Coco] UUCP on the coco....

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 10:15:57 EDT 2005

On 04/05/2005 01:22 am, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 22:20 -0400, Ward Griffiths wrote:
> > Or for that matter, you can use it to connect to a Unix or Linux box
> > through hard wire and use it to transfer files back and forth.  It's how
> > I backup my several ethernetless *ix systems (Tandy 6000 and AT&T 7300)
> > onto one of my Linux systems.  I remember mention of uucp for OS-9 a long
> > time back, I'll have to find it and get it set up to add my Coco3 to that
> > network.
>
> What are the advantages of this over xmodem/ymodem/zmodem (I'm sure
> there are reasons, I just don't know what they are).

Unattended operation.  On the Unix boxes, a cron job looks for files with
timestamps later than the last transfer and uucp's them over automatically.
Besides, why would I want to use a CP/M protocol with Unix boxes?  I only use
[xyz]modem protocols when manually transferring between environments alien to
each other or if I was still actually using a dialup connection.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

In my opinion, the worst unintended consequence of the Americans with
Disabilities Act is that it is impossible to horsewhip a man on the
steps of his club when the steps have been replaced with a ramp.